Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Just Do It! Nike was right!

Why are some of us able to jump right in and start executing when we have an idea, and some of us are paralyzed until we sort out and understand every nuance (and potential nuance) of a project? If you are reading this, you are probably in the second category like me. But what is it about those people who don't have to research every possibility, examine every possible flaw in an idea or project, follow every possible chain reaction to its conclusion? I love and hate them at the same time! LOL!

I've spent thousands of dollars on therapy and one of the 2 or 3 ideas that really sticks with me is the importance of just doing it - whatever it is.

I believe that all types are important. I'm not diminishing the importance we "thinkers" play in the scheme of things, I just know that I have to balance my natural inclinations with actually getting something done. I've thought of writing a blog for a couple of years. I've also wanted to learn internet marketing and web site development. But how many possibilities are there for a blog subject, a blog name? A product to market? It's an infinite amount and I could infinitely think about it without doing one blasted thing.

But, this fall I decided I had to shake off the cobwebs and TRY some possibilities, not just think about them. I thought, heck, I'll just pick a topic I really know something about and start writing about it. So two years after first thinking about a blog, I picked "procrastination" and here I am!

I figured I can't be the only one that struggles and I have learned a few helpful ideas along the way. The thing I enjoy most in life is sharing solutions and information so it is turning out to be a good fit. Nothing is more fun to me than hearing someone ponder how to do or find out something I know about or know how to find out about and getting the information for them. Aaahhh, bliss.

So let's help each other JUST DO IT. Thinking is good, doing is better. :)

2 comments:

magandangbliss said...

SPOT ON! Reading your article on Just Do It! was like reading something I might have written (IF I had actually WROTE a blog article vs thinking about writing one!)

I'm in the midst of career change, and have been slightly stuck. I was a biochemist scientist, switched into technical support, because I like helping people vs doing experiments (must boil down to being more of a thinker vs doer) but was laid off in Feb.

So now, being such a thinker vs doer, I'm a bit stuck on think/research mode! I DID go volunteer for 2 months in Chile, but now I've been back for a month and am still THINKING about the next step. Would love any input!

Like yourself, I thrive on delivering information to help others. Whenever I find an interesting website that I think would help my friends or former colleagues, my first response is to email it to them or post it on facebook!

My ideas that have rolled around in my head are 1. being a career counselor; 2. being a therapist; 3. being a personal development blogger; 4. working in eco- or social entrepreneurism. The idea of a triple bottom line (profit, social good, environmental good) greatly appeals to me! 5. personal fitness instructor

For the past 6 months or so, I've thought I wanted to work in the field of outdoor education, but I am now realizing this is a personal interest/passion that I don't need to turn into an income source.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Buttercup said...

Hi Magandangbliss!

Ha! As you can see, I haven't posted in a while. Thanks so much for your comment - I just found it! I can't respond directly as I don't have your email address, but please stay in touch.

Blessings!

--Carol